The Arizona Sports Summit Accord
On May 25, 1999, nearly 50 influential leaders in sports issued the Arizona Sports Summit Accord to encourage greater emphasis on the ethical and character-building aspects of athletic competition. The Accord is the result of a summit conference convened May 12-14, 1999, in Scottsdale, Arizona. This Pursuing Victory With Honor summit was sponsored by Josephson Institute, the CHARACTER COUNTS! Coalition, and the United States Olympic Committee, Coaching Division.
The Accord calls for athletic programs to put character-building and sportsmanship before all other goals. Nearly every major amateur sports program in the U.S. has endorsed its principles.
- The Arizona Sports Summit Accord (Interscholastic edition)
- The Arizona Sports Summit Accord (Intercollegiate edition)
- Press Release Announcing the Accord
- Suggested Strategies for Implementing the Accord
- Endorsers: National Organizations
- Endorsers: A List Organized by State
- Endorsers: Colleges and Universities
- Endorsers: NCAA Division 1A Schools
- Endorsers: Individuals